Subject: [Leica] Colored light, or pure light?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Jul 15 15:01:12 2006

Everybody:  Thanks for the suggestions.  I do much prefer the color
version.  The picture really is about the light color in this case.  The
B&W is a completely different picture, striking in its own way, but not
what I was after when I took the picture.

Ted:  I did crouch, actually.  If I got too low or too close, stuff got
between me and the backlit chollo cactus.  I was also intrigued by the
backlit saguaro on the right.  I saw them in relationship to each other.  I
also had to keep the sun behind the saguaro, lest the sun be in the frame
or just outside it. That would have been a very different picture, and not
what I was after.

Here's the general scene, shot (I think) with a 35mm 'Cron:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Arizona/az4215_07web

And here's how I posted it.  This is practically a full-frame shot, with a
50 'Cron, cropped in-camera:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Arizona/az4215_07web

And here is the frame above, drastically cropped. I can't decide whether to
get rid of the bit of saguaro on the right side.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Arizona/az4215_09CropWeb
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Arizona/az4215_09Crop2Web

And yes, there indeed was the issue of not getting stuck in the
rear!  However, you'll be happy to know that I ruined a good pair of pants
slithering over rock on my belly to get a shot in Chiricahua.  As I heard
the scraping sounds of cloth giving way to sandstone, I though, "At least
Ted will be proud of me!"   :-)

--Peter