Subject: [Leica] Paying to shoot
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Mon Jul 17 08:06:11 2006

Like I said, it's not a particularly strong argument. I confess I'm just a
dabbler in stock work, but most of my stuff is landscapes and cityscapes,
with quite an emphasis on historic sites. From that perspective, it's hard
to see any hard news editorial use to it, and I don't object to modest fees
if they are going to be ploughed back into the site. I agree that many
newspaper 'togs sell a lot of their output as stock - an awful lot more of
them are freelancers these days, at least in the UK. However, not many
front-page pictures here are stock, I believe - there are certainly plenty
from agencies, but not stock agencies. I can't recall any hard news story
for which one of my pics might've been used, although I do accept that there
are potential editorial uses of such material.

Top and bottom, though, is that if you want to make money by taking pictures
of somebody else's property whilst on their property, I can't really see any
reason why they shouldn't be able to charge you - after all, without their
property, you've got no shot - I really do see it as analagous to hiring a
model. However, unless they are prepared to give special access, I don't see
why that charge should be anything more than nominal - say equivalent to the
price of an adult entry ticket as a maximum. Although that said, I remember
when shooting in the National Museum in Delhi, a camera permit was 5 times
the price of entry - but the entry price equated to 2 pence, that's what,
less than 4 cents, so I didn't object too much! But as my feeble attempts at
stock don't exactly bring in boatloads of money, you can be sure I am
utterly opposed to rip-off pricing, and would greatly prefer not to pay -
it's just that ethically, I can't see anything wrong with charging, that's
all.

Sorry for pounding on about this one for so long, I promise I won't go back
to the subject.

Nick