Subject: [Leica] Smart as remarks 3
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 20 07:12:29 2006

Smart Ass Remarks 3

A week before EXPO 86 in Vancouver opened, I had an assignment to shoot the
visual mood

of the site.  During my fourteen hour day, I was challenged 24 times by over
zealous security guards.

The questioning became annoying as each time I had to go through the same
question routine.

Who was I, what was I doing.  Even though an accreditation pass hung around
my neck completely in sight!

I had a Leica 280mm telephoto lens and camera mounted on a tripod,  Leicas'
hanging on my shoulders, around my neck and an equipment bag.  It was
obvious I wasn't a bad guy or amateur who sneaked in a back gate.

The questioning was almost identical each encounter: However I bit my tongue
even though the conversation was ripe for smart ass remarks.

                        "What are you doing in here?"

                        "Do you have a pass?" (It was hanging around my
neck)

                        "Are you going all over the site?"

                        "Who are you with?"

With the final question each time I realized it meant, "what company"  I was
shooting for.

And I explained who, what, and where.  Finally after twenty-four times of
this routine,

even with a couple of security guards within sight of each other by a
hundred yards, asking the same routine..

By the time the final guy asked his question I'd had it!

"Who are you with?"

I looked around 360 degrees and back to the guard as straight faced as I
could and replied, "I believe I'm

all by myself!"  He looked somewhat stunned.  End of questions!

Smart ass remarks prevailed.