Subject: Autofoucs WAS Re: [Leica] Film Forevah!!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jul 23 06:31:28 2006

>Actually, I do the same as Daniel, even with the 45 focus points of my
>Canon 1D2; for me, the center one is all I need.<<<

>The most annoying thing about using the multiple focus points is when  the
>camera decides to select the wrong one ;-)<<<

>I am also having problems coming to grips with auto focus,
>just does not compare to manual accuracy and it is a mystery as to what it
>is going to focus on.  I have tried all of the AF modes with equal
>baffelment.<<<

This should be "Autofocus Forevah!!!!!!!" ;-)

The first time I had to use an EOS 1 (not because I wanted to, I had to) and
those little bitty red squares flashed in the viewfinder, I thought this is
mad, not one of them focused on what was the object of my shot.  Read the
manual, a rarity for me. ;-) immediately turned them off, never to be turned
on again. The centre spot works wonders with a focus speed faster than I
could do manually. And I'd always prided myself in how fast I could manually
focus any R lens from 15mm to 400mm. Particularly shooting sports.

When one has a bunch of things on the screen or flashing lights to think
about.... you can miss the photo completely. WHY? Well, "you can't think and
shoot!"

However, Autofocus single centre spot opened a whole new world for higher
numbers of "in focus" frames than I could possibly do after years of
experience by hand. Regardless of what I've heard some folks say .... "Auto
focus is a waste because it never focuses where I want it to!" It's only
because they never took the time to trust it and make it work. And only use
the centre spot."

Slight pressure on shutter release...Centre spot goes red... click! In focus
and properly exposed. It's a no brainer and faster than you can manually.
Let me clarify..... this is with SLR cameras, of no use with M Leica's
because it's completely different photography. Even though in some cases you
may shoot the same subject.

Oh sure some times it makes a mistake. WHY? Because the camera operator
screwed-up! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) (Autofocus WAS Re: [Leica] Film Forevah!!)
Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) (Autofoucs WAS Re: [Leica] Film Forevah!!)