Subject: [Leica] OT: Heat Wave!
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Mon Jul 24 06:42:56 2006

The mercury hit 38 degrees yesterday (that's 100.4 in the United
States) - very warm for this far north and this high in the hills. We
spent the day over at Marble Lake, trying to keep cool.

I was reminded of another, very hot day in Victoria, in the early 1970's.

A group of us were making our way, on foot, to the local Dairy Queen
- for an ice cream fix. Along the way, we passed the "Princess
Machine Shop", an old building, with grimy windows that would look
perfect in a classic movie.  If you scraped the muck of the glass,
you could see an old, roll top  desk inside, covered with papers in
piles so high they'd topple over at the merest hint of a breeze. It
could have been right out of a cartoon!

On the door was a sign which read:

ON STRIKE!

Demanding:
   - shorter hours
   - easier work
   - more (xxxx-d out and replaced with "some") profits.

NEGOTIATING AT THE LAKE!

Cheers!
---

David Young,