Subject: [Leica] Digital M mount camera speculation
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Jul 25 05:27:04 2006

Folks,

Knowing how much some of us enjoy day-dreaming  on the forthcoming M8, I
thought this might be of interest.

Zeiss have reworked their information on their site relating to the ZI RF
camera system

This is from the new brochure:

"When digital sensor technology takes another

leap or two, accepting the high incident angles of

a wide-angle M-mount lens to the corners of a

full format sensor, you can count on us to come

up with high performance digital systems that

will satisfy even the truly passionate. And your

Carl Zeiss T* ZM-mount lenses will be ready"

Allowing for hyperbole, this reads that any digital entry by them in the
future will be full frame.

Man, I'd love to be on their mail list with Cosina as maker of much of their
current RF M mount system.

Before anyone berates me on APSC sensors vs full frame,  yep I understand
the basics but what would M Mount lens owners like? There's the niche
market. No way it  would compete with Nikon, Canon, et al.

So far Kobayashi San has been awfully adept at identifying and profiting
from the RF enthusiast market, and also publicly stated that he did not wish
to enter the early digital market, with huge R&D costs, low profits and
short model lives.

That is smart business sense, in my book, and by all accounts from a true RF
enthusiast. Nevertheless, it might be reasonable to consider that the market
is more mature now.

Brickbats, comments, speculation, anyone?

Cheers

Analog Hoppy

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Digital M mount camera speculation)