Subject: [Leica] Re: Submarine service
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri Jul 28 22:18:56 2006

Well in WWII that was true. Today the very nature of the service is
quite different. Peace-time missions are still dangerous but also
highly vital to the national security.

I'm a bit sorry to hear Ted speak poorly of the Canadian submariners.
We have always respected the skills of our fellow sailors to the
north. They play ASW hard and well.

All submarining is dangerous. It takes a culture that understands the
dangers and trains constantly to deal with them. The Canadians had a
bad break that cost them dearly. It happened to us last year when the
USS SAN FRANCISCO ran into an underwater mountain peak at flank speed
killing a young sailor and injuring quite a few crewmen. They were
damn lucky to get the boat to the surface and all that training that
both crews did let them save their boats and go home again.

Still, I feel better about my son when he's out on a mission than I do
when he's tooling around Seattle. Out there, at sea, his shipmates
have his back and he has theirs.

The most telling scenes in "Das Boot" happen toward the end when they
are struggling to get off the bottom. It's the ultimate meaning of
what it's like be be a submariner - that you never give up, you try
one thing and then the next and the next until you run out of time to
try the next thing. And you know your boat so well that even in the
dripping darkness when the air is bad, you're exhausted, and maybe
almost hopeless, that you can still work through the systems to try
that one more thing that will get you to the surface.

I had the priviledge of meeting "Red" Ramage at the PARCHE's launch -
a larger than life figure, Medal of Honor winner for a night-time
surface action.  He was the Real Thing and when he walked through our
boat at commissioning everyone stood taller as if his footsteps on the
deck plates imbued us with that first PARCHE 's(384) spirit.

My son tells me that the same feeling happened when an ex-CO of
SEAWOLF walked through the CARTER after commissioning. They didn't
know everything SEAWOLF had done in her time, but they knew how real
and vital that mission was and how deeply dangerous it was.

For a long time the recruiting poster for the submarine service read
"Pride Runs Deep". It's true in every submarine service worth its
salt. Soviet, American, UK, Canadian, German - we all share the common
war against the sea that is all too willing to take the careless,
negligant or unlucky. The crews of the THRESHER and SCORPIAN are
proof.

Adam