Subject: [Leica] Re: Pictures to a Powerbook G4
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jul 29 08:53:19 2006

On Jul 29, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Ken wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I've been asked to help prepare and lead a "creativity workshop"
> later this fall, and I have to have the proposal in by August 4.
>
> I've done one of these, using my PowerBook G4, a Nikon Coolpix 4300,
> and a Canon IP 1600 printer, and it went fairly well.  The
> pariticpant had to use the altered photo, printed on transparency
> material, as the basis for their work....they could paint on it, cut
> it, whatever.
>
> However, getting the photo of the workshop participant altered and
> printed was not timely, IMO.
>
> So, since I've been thinking about springing for a decent DSLR
> (gasp!), I want to know if it is possible to hook the camera directly
> to the PowerBook, set up an Automator script, and print as soon as
> the photo is captured.
>
> And, what good DSLR will allow me to do this?  And, in a reasonable
> price range? ($450.00 -$550.00 USD)   I know that the "older" Pentax
> models are coming down in price as the new models are being released.
>
> TIA,
>
> Ken

iPhoto on your Powerbook G4 will recognize and allow you to import
photos from just about any digital camera. You can also set it up to
record directly from the camera. I use an Olympus E-500 with a 12" G4
Powerbook in just this manner. It also connects flawlessly to my new
(and terrific) 20" iMac. My E-500 kit with two zoom lenses cost me $799
at B&H. I understand that the $100 rebate is still in force. I highly
recommend the camera as do some others on the LUG. After all, Leica is
one of the 4/3rds consortium members.

Incidentally, to get back to the international shipping thread, I
recently received an OM to 4/3rds adapter, bought on eBay from a
Chinese firm, iCirrus. The adaptor cost me $13 and shipping from China
was $10.. The adaptor is of very high quality, nicely machined, and
identical in all respects to the 4/3rds adaptor offered by Olympus USA
for $99 plus tax and shipping. After all, the E-500 is made in China
and the official adaptor and the aftrermarket job were probably
manufactured in the same factory. The package arrived from Beijing via
USPS less than a week after the order was placed. Sometimes the system
works.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Ken Frazier) ([Leica] Re: Pictures to a Powerbook G4)