Subject: [Leica] access and viewpoint (was charlotte observer)
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Jul 31 20:14:15 2006

It's strange how major news is the death of a war reporter. If they
are REALLY doing their job then you'd think their casualty rate would
be about the same as those in the war zone - maybe a little better.

Last night I was watching one of the special features about Formula 1
in the '60s and there was a story about Jackie Stewart talking to Jim
Clark about how he had almost lost it coming into a curve but then got
things reigned back in again. "You recovered?" said Clark
incredulously. "Yes," said Stewart, "why?" And Clark said "Because if
you can recover you're not close enough to the edge."

It seems to me that reporters these days aren't close enough to the
edge. In the case of Wolf Blitzer he was somewhere in the middle of
the table. And no, I don't think they need to be out there on the
point during recon. But they do need to be more deeply imbedded in the
cultures they are covering. How else can they sort through the mosaic
and make sense of what they're seeing? As it is now it seems like
everything is filtered twice removed.

Adam