Subject: [Leica] access and viewpoint (was charlotte observer)
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Mon Jul 31 20:05:50 2006

>I am far more concerned with straight photography lying than changing the
>color of the sky.  We all know that access and viewpoint can make a lot of
>difference in the story you tell if the editors will let you tell the story
>you want.  Reference the NYTimes stories coming out of the Soviet Union in
>the 20's and 30's saying all was well in the Ukraine when hundreds of
>thousands were starving to death.

i noticed wolf blitzer on CNN yesterday in jerusalem, reporting on the war.
looking very much like a tourist in his unbuttoned yellow checked short
sleeve shirt, he was standing in a bomb shelter with some isralie solders
asking pointed questions like "was that a rocket we just heard? how many
times have you heard rockets? do you feel safe?"

i may be watching the wrong news channels, but i haven't seen anybody
huddled under a desk in beruit reporting on the war.

just by picking the place in which to stand mr. blitzer has made an
editorial decision -- either about the degree of risk he's willing to
accept, or the POV from which the war will be framed by his reportage.
sadly, i think this is much more detrimental to journalism than changing the
color of the sky.

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] access and viewpoint (was charlotte observer))
Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] access and viewpoint (was charlotte observer))
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] access and viewpoint (was charlotte observer))