Subject: [Leica] Two New Galleries
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Aug 1 18:11:39 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

> Ric Carter showed:
> Subject: [Leica] Two New Galleries
>> During my week off, I gave myself two assignments.
>
> Hi Ric,
> Well done mon ami some very nice work in both albums.

Thanks, Ted.

> I'm sure the church group will appreciate this series. It certainly
> should be shown to others to encourage folks to become involved and
> give a helping hand.

That is my hope. I've offered them for any sorts of work they need
them for.

> The fishing and waterfront material is truly a record of a
> disappearing way of life and should be valuable to your State
> archives or the National Archives, I assume in Washington? Maybe
> not today, but down the line they'll be only too glad to have this
> kind of material for it's historical value.

A friend and English/Folklore professor at East Carolina University
convinced me of the value of my negatives several years ago -- folk
history she said. I was the photo department at a small town daily
for close to 20 years, so documented lots of "unimportant" news;^)

The Southern Historical Archive at the University of North Carolina
(my alma mater) has millions of manuscripts, recordings, photographs,
and mementos. They have expressed an interest my photos. After all,
several hundred thousand negatives isn't an inheritance, it's a
punishment.

> When you shoot this kind of thing make sure you log as much
> information who-what-where and any other things you feel will make
> the photographs more important in there historical value.

I'll try to do better.