Subject: [Leica] Interesting 50mm variation (eBay shame?)
From: ausdlk at swbell.net (David Keenan)
Date: Wed Aug 2 23:53:54 2006

>How does one shop safely there? Is there a way to pretty much ?
>guarantee safe transactions?

I have done nearly 400 transactions on eBay, both buying and selling, and
have not had a single totally awful experience.

There were a handful of fussy buyers some of which I made some kind of
adjustment. By adhering to the "customer is always right (even when they are
wrong)" philosophy I have an almost perfect feedback score. (One malcontent
decided to punish me with a negative feedback early in my eBay "career".)

That therein lies the "secret". Check the seller's feedback. Avoid doing any
business with someone that is not deeply established, i.e., a feedback score
no lower than 50 or even 100. And read some of the feedback -- check for the
item(s) sold and make sure that the seller isn't padding his score with $.01
items.

When selling, I've found that feedback scores are somewhat less important.
But I will now not allow a bid from someone for anything expensive (like a
camera or lens) with a low feedback score. It's unlikely that I can get
screwed monetarily by such people -- rather it is often a bitch to get them
to pay.

Finally, use Paypal.

Dave.
--