Subject: [Leica] reuters moron fired for not knowing how to use photoshopyet
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Aug 7 17:44:48 2006

Tina, I'm not entering into any comment on the photographer/s actions nor
motivation.
However, I thought it might be of interest to comment on the Reuters
This is a layers within layers thing as the Reuters retraction as quoted
still doesn't tell the story accurately. I spent twenty years in the
military here and am very familiar with the types of objects being
discussed.
Firstly, based on the low resolution image shown, you can't determine just
what was cloned in PS and what is original. It would be detectable in the
original file. There are also other elements not mentioned, including an
earlier release flare and another object apparently between the two falling
stores.
This is all just public information below, of course. I have no knowledge of
Israeli doctrine nor equipment beyond what we can all read in the media.

Secondly the image appears to show multiple releases of countermeasures
(flares) which are designed to decoy heat seeking missiles. Chaff (thousands
of fine, radar returning filaments) that is mentioned may well be used but
it wouldn't necessarily be apparent in the photo.

It would be common practice to release a sequence of defensive measures in
this environment.

The (non-illuminated) stores are very likely to be bombs, (not missiles) and
again, it might be reasonable to release more than one together or in a
sequence. They may be guided or non-guided.

So, as an image it could in fact reasonably depict reality.

Really, the photog stands convicted of woeful use of the clone tool in the
other image. I'll leave the subject of journalistic integrity alone.

Cheers
Hoppy