Subject: [Leica] TRI-X at 1600
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Aug 8 19:36:41 2006

On 8/8/06 9:39 PM, "Jeffery Smith" <jsmith342@cox.net> typed:

> I found myself in a jam in San Diego. I took some TRI-X to a patio dinner
> (Mexican food) and expected to have an hour of light before things got
> dicey. My ride showed up 45 minutes late so I had to fudge the E.I. to
> 1600.
> What should I use to soup it? Are there any "best" developers for pushing
> TRI-X two stops?
>
> Jeffery Smith
> New Orleans, LA
> http://www.400tx.com
> http://400tx.blogspot.com/

I would have just used ridiculously low shutter speeds and kept my tri X at
normal tri X 400 speed. I always say Why push it!?!?!
My experience with Diafine and other split developers most hand mixed is
that they add a half stop maybe in speed but you get very muddy results
without things separating right and zero edge effects which is like not
unsharp masking your scans. Which as we know is an non-not-doable part of
your workflow digitally speaking. And without which you get mush.
MUSH I say!

I think the results you Tri to get with Tri X at 1600 is about as good as
you get with Neopan 1600 at 400.
Bad.
Not that its a moral issue.
Shoot at 15th of a second and keep your pictures small with more contrast
than they rightfully deserve.
Print them with two inch borders.
Use very wide angle lenses.
Put people near lamps.
Wear a long sleeve button down white Van Heusen shirt washed in TIDE with
Clorox bleach in hot water to reflect light back into your subject.
Tell them to smile and keep their chins up.
And hold real still. But you and them.

Or in Lug talk not try ot make apple juice with oranges!!
It never comes out quite as well!!

Mark Rabiner L.S.M.F.T.

The Village of Elmsford, Westchester County, NY  10523