Subject: Seagulls - Nasty Birds [was Re: [Leica] New Gallery]
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Thu Aug 10 14:16:02 2006

People too often think of gulls as an essential, benign element of
the gentle seascape they carry in their heads, serving the same
function cows do in a bucolic landscape.  In reality they are are
large (3'wingspan), dirty, nasty beasts.

Our sailing club used to run an annual sailing race to to George's
Island in Boston Harbor with a clam bake on the island afterwards.
A group of us took a walk around the island after eating and soon
found ourselves in the midst of a gull nesting area - which we had
been warned to avoid but had stumbled into anyway.  We must have
missed the gulls early warning cries because the bombing runs started
before we'd even had a chance to reverse course.  Almost at once we
were living a real-life version of Hitchcock's "The Birds."

It was all over in a minute but let me tell you, you cannot get rid
of a determined gull by swatting at him with your arms.  None of us
were a match for these furious flying Ninjas.  We all went home
surprised, chastened, and newly wary of the species.  One of our
group took home something extra - a badly bloodied head (not me, BTW,
I was wearing a hat).

The seagull is not your friend.

Regards,

Dick