Subject: [Leica] Will is win big?
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Aug 11 12:48:23 2006

At 03:22 PM 8/11/2006, you wrote:
>I would like to hear the opinion of the experienced photojournalists
>here on the quality of the coverage now vs. 30 years ago. It seems
>to me that the last truly independent coverage of a conflict was in
>Indochina in the 1970s. Today the reporting and photography by the
>likes of people mentioned by Walt appears to have been replaced by
>carefully managed photo ops, embedded reporters and the like.
>Nathan

Almost all independent newspapers and magazines have been bought out
by big conglomerates whose agenda is to make money.  They make money
by reporting on entertainment "news" and pandering to partisan big
businesses who have their own agendas.  All you have to do is read
the headlines in most newspapers and you realize which way the news
will be slanted.  There is nothing available like the old Life
magazine which did photo essays.  The new Life is a trashy People
flyer enclosed with Friday's newspaper.  I listen to NPR during the
day and BBC at night.  I check several news sites from all over the
world.  That is the only bright spot in today's photojournalism.  You
can see news reports and photographs from all over the world on the
internet, but you have to be your own editor.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Will is win big?)