Subject: [Leica] Re: Wales
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Aug 14 13:44:21 2006

Steve wrote:

> The weather has been mixed here in he UK for the last couple of
> weeks, this was taken in the Welsh town of Bangor, these kids were
> fishing for crabs from the pier. I've no idea what they were going to
> do with anything they caught.
>
> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/Oneoffs/019.htm
>

> This is a view from the Welsh town of Barmouth on the North West
> coast of Wales. The image started life as 4 portrait shots with the
> 50mm Summicron stitched together. the light was very food for a
> change, with a mixture of bright sunshine and brooding clouds.
>
> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/Oneoffs/020.htm

Nice photos of Wales. Especially the second shot of beached boats.

During a two year stint as a visitng professor at the University of
Wales - Bangor, I lived in the town of Menai Bridge, just across the
Menai Strait from the bridge pictured in your first shot. The kids
parents will undoubtedly eat the crabs. The Menai Strait connects
Caernarfon and Conwy Bays. The tide is out of sync on those two bays,
high tide in one means low tide lon the other. This pushes a current
reaching 15 knots through the strait twice a day, bringing fresh
ocean water to the crabs and mussels lining the bottom. The seafood
is regarded as some of the best in the UK.

The tidal range in this area is 26 feet. Boats are built to take
grounding at low tide. Your second shot is a good example. Yachtsmen
regard this as a mixed blessing. They stroll out to their boats at
low tide, stow their muddy boots, and brew a cuppa tea. In an hour or
so the tide will rise and they will sail away for a day of boating or
fishing. They return just before low tide, brew another cuppa, and
don their boots to walk ashore. Dinghies are not needed but a tide
table is essential.

I have a shoebox full of lovely photos of North Wales, the prettiest
part of the UK, but since they were taken with a first generation
digital camera, an Agfa ePhoto 307, I'd be embarrased to post them.
The 0.3 mp images won't stand comparison with today's 6, 8, and 10 mp
quality.

Larry Z