Subject: [Leica] Re: Archival storage
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Aug 15 18:13:09 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Richard wrote:

> I read somewhere recently that archival storage of motion pictures is
> done on three-strip (one for each color) black and white negative
> stock.

That is correct, but I suspect that very few films are stored that
way. The whole idea is based on the concept of the tri color, beam
splitter camera which used red, green and blue filters to form images
on B&W film. The original Technicolor movie technique exposed three
strips of B&W film in a beam splitter movie camera and made the
release prints by a dye transfer process.  Silver emulsions are far
more stable than the dyes used in color prints or negatives. Kodak
says that Kodachrome it its most long lived color film and estimates
that slides kept cold and in the dark will last 100 years. Since the
process was invented in 1936 we still have 30 years to find out if
they are right. B&W glass negatives taken during the Civil War are
still useable and show little degradation.

During the 50s I was involved in a project that was looking for an
image storage technique that would retain images for 1000 years - to
be used in time capsules and/or attached to space probes. The only
thing we could come up with in that pre digital age was to engrave
the image on a stainless steel plate. Gold might be better but the
agency sponsoring the study balked at the estimated cost.

Larry Z