Subject: [Leica] Re: Fisheye "cloud" lens
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Aug 15 18:27:59 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Frank wrote:

> It reminded me that the original use ( in the 60's anyway)  for the
> fisheye lens was to study cloud formations.  Using 180 degree
> lenses allowed the entire sky to be studied at one time.

Frank,

You are undoubtedly thinking of the Hill Sky camera which was
intended to study cloud formations. The camera was about the size of
cigar box and took a single glass plate. The fisheye lens was mounted
on one flat side and the camera was placed on its back to record the
clouds. It produced a fully circular image with a 180 degree field of
view. The photographer had to crouch lower than the base of the
camera otherwise he would be in the picture. To rectify the
distortion, the same lens was used to project the image. But the date
was early in the 20th century, certainly before 1920. By the 1960s
Spiratone was selling fisheye adapters to use on 35mm SLR lenses for
less than $50. I have one of them.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from allen.graves at charter.net (Allen Graves) ([Leica] Re: Fisheye "cloud" lens)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re: Fisheye "cloud" lens)