Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Times-Picayune Photojournalist Arrested After Chase
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Aug 17 19:35:27 2006

B. D. Colen wrote:

Right...allow me to leap to conclusion - white guy who all the cops know
isn't shot; black guy who they didn't, under precisely same circumstances,
would have been so filled with lead the EPA would have declared him a Super
Fund site. Am I right, or have I leapt to a Harvardian Knee Jerk Liberal
Yankee Conclusion?

-------------------------

I'm a little late to the party, but B.D., you got that one right.

I've seen this exact dynamic up close and personal (and Harvard
has nothing to do with it), and I'll never fully trust the police again.
(Why in the hell would *anyone* trust a bunch of working class
yahoos with guns?)

I was walking home with a black cook I worked with on a summer
job. Nicest guy in the world. Cops stopped their car, "hands on head"
that kind of stuff. But when they reached us, pushed me aside (don't
want to fuck with preppy kids, do they?). Took my buddies bag,
unzipped it, flung it so everything was scattered on the street.  Nothing
there, so they demanded that is we "run far away from this
neighborhood." Hm, what authority do they have to demand that?

My co-worker's complete humiliation was palpable. Not a dry eye
in the house, and anyone who could have seen this would have
cried too.

If I was armed, I would have shot the assholes (testosterone
filled 19 year old) and spent the rest of my life happily in jail.
My father and I made lots of calls, but we didn't have badge
numbers and no one was willing to help us identify the officers
by their location and the make/color of their unmarked car.
Hmmm.

This isn't a partisan issue. I wouldn't want cops to needlessly
rough up the right-est of right wing redneck kooks either. Cops
have helped me on several occasions (but I'm white and live in
a hoity toity neighborhood), they do have stressful jobs and
they perform a vital service in our society.

But the THUGS who misuse their govt. sanctioned lethal  force
to intimidate minorities (or any other innocents) should be
punished with life in prison or the death penalty in appropriate
states.  There ain't no reasoning with a criminal mind backed
up by a gun and the force of the state - they'll understand
only force in return.

And we wonder why there's so many violent rap songs that
advocate simply killing the police. Like Palestinians cheering
on 9/11 (disgusting), I can imagine our own underclasses taking
to the streets and dancing and cheering every time an officer is
killed. And whose fault would that sad, sad, sad situation be?

An excellent project for serious college students and community
activists would be to "stage" events and then film the police
in action  if they take the bait. Publish their names, names of
thier children, phone numbers and addresses on the web -
after all, it would be an "academic study."  Fuck 'em - if they
take the bait, they deserve humiliation and jail and any other
independent citizen wrath that might befall them.

Sorry for the rant. It's an issue near and dear to my heart.

Still, I'm glad the poor mentally ill fellow wasn't shot.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35