Subject: [Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Aug 17 23:24:15 2006

Capa: If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.

Yeah, we all know that old one, but it's relevant here.

I feel I'm going to go out on a limb here, because the recent conflict
is so sad, but....

I think his pictures are mediocre *at best*. Basically amateurish
snapshots.

My favorites are: #28 of the photographs and the wounded leg; #33
of pro Hezbollah protesters. And in that order of strong preference.

But most of the pics, well, aren't close enough! Go through the
series, and most of the shots have a voyeuristic distance - I feel
no intimacy with the subjects.

Most of the pics are of "collateral damage." I get it, the human
face, and human cost, of a battle (war if you want).  But they fall
flat for me. Here's where I think of Chim Seymour's work.

I count myself fortunate to have seen a collection of Chim Seymour's
photos recently at the National Gallery, and most were his pics of
children in the aftermath of WWII.  My Lord, what a remarkable
and moving set of photographs!!!!  I think it's in part because they
somehow show *life*, both the pathos and the tidbits of joy and
humanity (the famous one of the nun playing ball with the orphans,
just for example).

Anderson's pics pretty much suck by comparison: a blown up
building; another one; a tiny figure of a man crawling around on a
blown up building; blown up buildings at night; a dead person;
a crowd of protesters; a parking garage with refugees; more blown
up buildings.

Horrors all, but such a bland rendition.

Even his pic of the children playing in the shopping carts - there's
no movement. Instead of a picture of children at play, the play is
halted and we get a mugshot of a few children.

These are moving subjects, yet I'm left completely unmoved.

The majority of Anderson's pics are like snapshots - to use Eugene
Smith's somewhat hyperbolic language, I don't feel like his pics
make me "see into the heart, the very truth of the subject," in this
case the devastation and the people who so sadly suffered it.

And I'm only 40 and know Capa and Seymour only as historical
figures. I'm not worshiping the PJ past or anything.  I think
Nachtewey's (sp?)  work on this same kind of subject matter is
far, far superior (just thinking of his Bosnia and African famine
photos, for example).

OK, so Nachtewey is a real ace, creme de la creme, and comparison
isn't fair? OK. I can accept that.

But still.... Am I the only one who thinks Anderson's pics fall
short and just aren't very compelling?  And with subject matter
like that, what is his excuse?

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour)