Subject: [Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Aug 18 06:39:32 2006

Comparison, Scott, is always fair, if those being compared are playing on
the 'same field.' Here you're comparing professional photographers covering
war and its aftermath - so if Nachtwey is the modern standard setter, he's
the one against whom other professionals should be judged.

That said - consider that what you're seeing of Capa and Chim's work is
their absolute best, culled, reculled, judged, and reculled, over the past
60 years; what you're seeing of Anderson's work are probably the images he
edited and  transmitted to the syndicate while on the ground in a war zone -
and that makes a huge difference. First off, we are all our own absolute
worst editors; second, it's one thing for a curator to go through work that
was shot 50 years ago and dispassionately choose the best x hundred images
from thousands and thousands, and it's another thing for a photographer on
the ground, with bombs falling, to decide what 50 images to send over the
Sat phone.

None of this is to disagree with your judgment, I'm simply trying to refine
the discussion a bit.

Oh, one last point - most of Capa and Chim's work was not of combat, but of
collateral damage.
B. D.

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Magnum's Chris Anderson on Lebanon vs. Robert Capa/Chim Seymour)