Subject: [Leica] Pan Pacific Swimming Championships -Victoria- Canada.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Aug 18 07:40:05 2006

Walt Johnson offered:

> Let's all hear it for gray power! Love your stories and your images..<<<

"Thank you Walt."

Covering international level sports always takes a few days to hit the
groove doing two 3 hour sessions, morning and evening it usually takes the
first day to get with the action, then it's much easier. As yer body begins
to function under the heat and humidity of the pool and crowded photo
position.

There are a couple that kind of worked during the evening competition.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/The-Art-of-Observation/20_D0129_tight_face_lane_8

This one is fairly easy when the competitor is in lane 8 almost at your feet
about 45 degree angle.

Oh and I nearly forgot.... you also have to contend with a rolling three man
TV camera crew, two pushers and camera operator on rails rolling past as the
lead swimmers go by! So each time the swimmer changes position the camera
and crew roll right in front of you usually at the key action moment of face
out of water. I knew you'd think that a fun bit for shooting. ;-)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/The-Art-of-Observation/20_D0105_butterfly_2_reflection

The best time for butterfly is on the first length when the pool water is
calm as they swim at you. When they lift out of the water the reflection is
almost perfect. Actually quite easy to shoot because all you do is follow
focus the ripple of the water as their face is down. As soon as it comes up
out of the water you shoot! Trust me you do not have time to think about
this one it's basic instinct, click! :-) Oh yeah and manual follow focusing
!!! ;-)

Shot with Leica 280 2.8 and a Leicanon 20D at ASA 1600!

ted

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Pan Pacific Swimming Championships -Victoria- Canada.)
Message from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] lens test (Kat Kontent))
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Pan Pacific Swimming Championships -Victoria- Canada.)