Subject: [Leica] On 50s
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Aug 20 19:29:25 2006

At 08:44 PM 8/20/06 -0400, Ric Carter wrote:

>Anyway, what are your ideas on the relative virtues of each of these?
>Are there advantages to each? Is there a time to use one over the other?

Erwin Puts is the honest master of optical analysis of Leitz and Leica
lenses:  Erwin is a friend of mine of many years and is a former member of
this esteemed body.  He will tell you that the later the lens, the better
it is, and, for the most part, he is absolutely correct.

I will be the iconoclast, and I will stick with the Summitar.  I love that
lens, and I have taken satisfying (I started to say "great" but then some
rebellious soul in our number would start demanding that I produce those
photos -- I am moving, a SLOW and AGONIZING move, mind you, and I have had
three scanners die on me in a row, so I have nothing to show to you guys
save by mail, and even then, it would be a matter of six or eight months
until my new darkroom is up and operating).  I find the Summitar results
really great.  The best of the lot in my estimation, though, is the DR
(dual-range) or NF (near-focus) 2/5cm Summicron, a second-generation
version, with close-focus eyeglasses.  Get one, and enjoy, either a 2/5cm
Summitar or a 2/5cm Summicron DR.  Either one will test YOUR limits.  You
will never test the limits of the lens, I suspect, unless you are Ted
Grant, that Immortal Soul of Eternal Photography.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner) ([Leica] On 50s)