Subject: [Leica] take a look
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Aug 22 09:22:42 2006

Bob

I don't really see a beam of light, but rather a bit of dodging?  Ms.
Rodero seems, to me, a master printer. Additionally, what generally
separates the men (and women) from the boys is the ability to see. Her
work on the festival is dark and moody but much appears as it might have
been. She prints (Focomat or PC) down as do many straight shooters.  I
would be the first to admit Rodero's work could be called "romantic".
But then maybe that's why it appeals to me so much? Am I a closet romantic?

Years back I did a school project and I still remember the fuss over one
image. I went to an old cemetery and shot an ornate grave site with a
cloudy sky behind it. The clouds broke and a beam of light hit the
scene. Maybe someone was looking out for me but in any case it made a
hell of an image. The classroom rantings and ravings about faking it
were endless. (it was a pj class) Nonetheless, I didn't manipulate.
Sometimes we get lucky. Sometimes luck means being prepared for
opportunity. Who knows? As long is it comes my way I'll be happy. :-) .

Walt

P.S.  Here is another stroke of luck from years back. Was doing a story
on a tent revival and this one worked as the  lead image. I felt lucky
but was already set up with a tripod because I'd seen the image in my
head before it happened. The folks being saved heard my darn
"hallelujahs" at the front of the meeting. :-P

http://gallery.leica-users.org/walts/revival