Subject: [Leica] Restoration Project
From: jim.christie at sbcglobal.net (Jim Christie)
Date: Tue Aug 22 17:19:05 2006

This may not be appropriate for this forum (if so just tell me so), but I
just discovered a very old picture of my great grandfather taken during the
Civil War, in his Union soldier's uniform. To the best of the family's
knowledge, this may be the only photo that we have of him. Unfortunately, it
is in pretty bad condition and I'm trying to restore it as best I can. The
reason I am posting the picture is that I would very much appreciate your
thoughts and suggestions on how to improve on what I have done so far.
Please visit my website for the picture:  SmugMug - Jim Christie
<http://www.jim-christie.smugmug.com/gallery/1804924>  : Restore Project

You'll see the picture in three versions. The first is my first scan (Epson
4990 Photo Scanner), with no correction at all. The second picture is a
rescan using the scanner's Color Correction feature. The third picture is
the second scan plus a little photoshoping from me, i.e. I fiddled with
"Levels" a little and the applied the "Unsharp" adjustment. I know I need to
do a lot of cloning to get rid of some of the ugly blotches, but do you have
a suggestion for improving on what I have done and/or should I send it out
to some professional restoring shop somewhere? All input will be much
appreciated. Again, if this is inappropriate for the group, please let me
know.

Jim Christie

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Restoration Project)
Reply from goconrad at tds.net (Gerald O. Conrad,Sr.) ([Leica] Restoration Project)
Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Restoration Project)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Restoration Project)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Restoration Project)