Subject: [Leica] Epson RD1
From: ausdlk at swbell.net (David Keenan)
Date: Thu Aug 24 02:48:23 2006

>Black and white on an RD 1 sounds like fun to me with M lenses.

I own and have taken 2000+ images with my R-D1.

All in all I really like the camera. Advancing the "digital film" (aka
cocking the shutter) is fun and is fun to explain to people when I say that
the camera is digital.

On the downside, like all Voigtlander Bessa's upon which the R-D1 is based,
the rangefinder is very tender. Way too easy to knock something out of
alignment. It happened to my Bessa R3A in the middle of a European adventure
and it happened again this summer with the R-D1 one. Yes, there was an
"accident" and the cameras took a hit but my Leicas and Hexar RF have
survived similar incidents.

This fragile aspect of these cameras make them unacceptable in my opinion
for serious field work.

Also, Abode Bridge software refuses to "see" black&white R-D1 image files as
they were shot and always shows them in color. This is a big speedbump for
me when working with b&w images from the R-D1 one.

>I've been watching the Leica Forum and it's interesting to see the momentum
>building to Sept. 15 for the supposed
>announcement from Germany.

Finally, I will be at Photokina and already have allocated the necessary $$$
for two M8's. I cannot wait and I hope that I will not be disappointed.

I will be taking offers on my DAG repaired R-D1 shortly...

Dave.
--
David Keenan, ausdlk@swbell.net on 8/24/2006