Subject: [Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Aug 24 12:04:40 2006

Last week I announced the upcoming LUG Monthly Photo Contest, and then that
very evening (before my daily backups had run) the server computer melted
down. So I've had to rebuild the contest on the refurbished hardware.

In doing so, I got to wondering if perhaps it would be good to change the
mechanism, and I wanted to hear what people had to say about this change.

I've only found three people willing to serve as judges, and that isn't
enough. So I've been thinking about a more populist approach.

Suppose that I adjusted the software so that nobody could see the ratings
assigned to a photograph except me, and that a large number of people were
given a set of ratings buttons to click on. If we get 200 people registering
on the contest site (hoping someday to submit a contest entry) then perhaps
anybody who had submitted more than 2 pictures could be given "judge" powers
(i.e. given a set of ratings buttons to click on). Or maybe all of you could
tell me who should be the judges, and then
I'd simply put the ratings buttons on their accounts, without going through
the formal process of asking people if they want to be a judge.

I trust that any LUG member will be gracious enough not to rate his or her
own photographs, and, besides, if that happens I can tell and do something
about it.

If we did this, then I'd imagine that there would be between 50 and 100
judges, and they would assign a rating to any picture that they thought
needed to be rated (good or bad). At the end of the month I would declare
the winners to be the photographs that got the highest numeric rating score.

A scheme like this makes the contest more populist and less professional,
but my goal here is to get people to enter pictures, not to displace the
Deutsche B?rse prize.

Comments?

Brian Reid
LUG Saloon Keeper

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)
Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)
Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Photo contest rules/policy question)