Subject: [Leica] Re: Non-waterproof Leica
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Aug 26 16:18:44 2006

Larry Z said:
>Without belaboring the issue of Leicas at sea for too long, we must
>remember that Leica cameras are not now and never were intended to be
>water tolerant. <<<<

Larry old buddy,
You know what with all the quoted regulations? It's just another number
thing by over educated guys using numbers and not by those of us who've used
them in the real world. Actually under precisely all the "wet conditions"
they weren't supposed to be used under. So gee I got a problem with some of
what yer saying. Well OK you are telling us what someone else said.

Quite frankly from absolute truthful experience at sea on deep sea fishing
trawlers in mid winter for a month, police chase boats on the lake, photo
boats during regattas and with some absolute monsoon rain in Malaysia. I've
never had a problem with a "not properly sealed/unsealed/ Leica!"

And that doesn't include in the high Arctic under sub zero conditions while
on
a dog sled living night after night for ten days in pitched tents hunting
seals!

Not to forget the humid conditions of Vietnam, the Congo and Malaysia.

Not once did, nor have I ever had a Leica crash and burn from water nor
humidity, freezing or over heating!

Bloody numbers are always a pain in the ass as they can be quoted a thousand
times over and be completely meaningless! Certainly when the cameras are
used by competent professionals who know how to work under the most adverse
weather conditions on this planet!

>An object (marine radio, camera, binocular, etc.) rated
>JIS-4/IPX-4 is considered splash resistant but not suitable for
>immersion. <<<<<<

But who cares if it's immersed? That really isn't in the plan 100% of the
time when it comes to picture taking! If it happens it fits in the category
of "sh---t happens!" Too bad.

The above is completely meaningless simply because we, all of us, have no
idea about dunking our Leica's into any kind of liquid. Although I've had
one of mine peed on in the dark on night manoeuvres ... not me.... ;-) Beer
spilled over a couple of them, again not me, a photographer of a greater
degree of inebriation!

And finally in the "heat of the barn" while a vet was doing his thing with a
herd of cows... one of them gave me and an M6 with Noctilux the spraying of
our life! "the story is in the archives!" Both camera and lens work to this
day with nothing more than a good wipe off! A hint of the bouquet can be
sensed on an extremely hot sunny day! ;-)

Actually the last time I looked in the great book on how to take pictures it
specifically details ... "Do not dunk or immerse your camera underwater!"
:-)

Now we all know that, so we know if we do something stupid through immersing
conditions the chances are the camera will crap out.... sooner or later.
Particularly if it's salt water!

Fresh water? Just dry it off and out as much as possible then put it in the
oven at the lowest heat possible with the oven door open and let it gently
dry out. As this process is going on take it out and trip the shutter at
various shutter speeds and return to dry some more. The camera should never
feel "HOT!"  And away you go shooting a quick test roll and yer back in
business!

No oven available? Just put it out in the sun and do the same shutter
tripping and it'll probably be fine after a couple hours or less.

>Trivia: In bygone years, Nikonos cameras were permitted in surgical
>operating rooms because they could be sterilized by dunking in a
>bucket of bleach.<<<

I may say, "the times they have changed!" :-)
Said I to the head surgeon as we were about to enter the OR. "I'll leave my
bag out in the hall and just bring my cameras in."  His response as he
grabbed the bag and carried it into the OR... "Jeeeeesh ted don't do that
it'll get stolen!" True story.

And I've never had anyone ask to wipe down my cameras at anytime in over 40
years of shooting in OR's in different countries. Nor working on my medical
books anywhere in North America.

You've given many of us sound advice to be aware of when in wet conditions,
so thank you for that. I might say the information must have scared the hell
out of a few of the weekend warrior members. As I said above, those of us
who earn our keep shooting have really no choice but to work under the wet
conditions you've explained, so we just do it and use common sense when
doing so.

Generally a little CS stuff works fine. :-)

ted