Subject: [Leica] 9/11 first impressions
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Sep 1 06:38:41 2006

So this a.m. on the way to work I stopped into the Harvard Bookstore and
took a quick look at both the Joel Myerowitz book "Aftermath," and the book
of photos by the cop who was following Bernie Kerick around. My quick first
impression, believe it or not, is that for all its value as a document, the
Myerowitz book is a bore and a disappointment. Granted, he should be
commended for having set out to document the deconstruction of the Towers,
hauling an 8x10 camera over the mountains of rubble. But....To paraphrase
the late and most unlamented Spiro T. Agnew, when you've seen one mountain
of 9/11 rubble you've seen them all.

John Botte's book, however, is a shocker - the guy is actually a damn good
photographer. Armed with his Leica - yes, On Topic - he got a lot of
compelling, black and white, disaster and cleanup photos. Obviously the
unparalleled access helped. But I just wish Myerowitz's photos were this
good.

Again, this is a brief first impression - but my inclination is to buy the
Botte book and pass on Myerowitz's, which I had planned to buy.

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:9/11 first impressions)
Reply from ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka) ([Leica] No mails?)