Subject: [Leica] NOW : FINGER SAUSAGES. :-(
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Sep 2 20:53:21 2006

Hoppy offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] NOW : FINGER SAUSAGES. :-(

> Ted, I hope I wasn't rude commenting. <<<

Hoppy mon ami not on your life! :-)

>>There was once a great art teacher, whose name escapes me who would >look
>>at students' work and say "continuez" or something similar. I always
>> >think of your signature block on a post as a similar thing.<<<<

Now that's a compliment indeed, thank you.

However when I do accidentally twitch/tremor and the damn finger does send
the empty reply it's a good thing I sit here alone! One might say the
language and thoughts are not nice. ;-)

> Let me tell you that I read every one of your posts with great care as
> there
> is so much to learn from. And also knowing that you have looked at a
> posted > image and perhaps comment sometimes is a very genuine privilege
> for a
> photographer seeking to improve.<<<

Now I'm blushing and humbled.

Here's what started my life of dealing with other photographers whomever
they are.

Summer 1951:
In my face loud and clear standing with what I thought were the coolest
group of news photographers in the world. And because I asked  a simple
question about an exposure this was the response..

"If you don't know the answer to that question amateur you shouldn't be
here!!"

There I was, yes a rank amateur, talked down to by a professional
photographer whom I admired because I thought he walked on water with a
camera and his smashing great photos were on the front page of the paper day
after day.  I always wanted to be just like him! :-( I changed my mind!

At that moment I swore if I should ever become a professional photographer
and were asked for help from another I would try my best to assist in any
way I could. And it's kind of worked that way these many years.

But if one has over half a century of learning why not pass that experience
on to make the way easier for fellow photographers?

My personal feeling is, I have a moral responsibility to give back to
photography what photography has given me. An absolutely incredible life
beyond the wildest imagination of anyone, adventures one could never buy.
Certainly the pleasure of things as we are doing this very moment, ...
communicating from one side of the world to the other because of....
photography! Well ok some electronic stuff also. ;-)

Bottom line, it's photography! :-) And passing on information with a helping
hand when asked!

have a good one!
ted

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] NOW : FINGER SAUSAGES. :-()