Subject: Don's Botanicals and a Note on Another Thread - Re: [Leica] Don's PAW 36 Beware Ted, ferns but no peeling paint
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Sep 3 18:44:40 2006

Actually, Don's 2nd picture in particular reminded me of an issue
of LensWork. So I dug it up, and it's Botanicals by Victoria Ryan
in LensWork Issue #52.  Really lovely stuff.

Lo and behold, she has quite a few of these online. These scans
don't live up to the LensWork repros, but they're still lovely.

http://victoriaryanphotography.com/botgallery1.html

Then I noted that several of the photos on this page are good examples
of the "shadow tone dominant" type of photos I was wondering about with
regard to digital shooting, shadow noise and so on.

Over on photo.net, I got an answer that so far seems to make sense.

To make a "shadow tone dominant" photo with a digital camera, use the
lowest ISO to minimize noise (duh), expose way to the right and then
correct this "wrong" exposure in post processing.  Ta da - minimal or
no noise.

But there's a BIG CATCH. This works only so long as there are no bright
subjects or elements in the composition. A bright element would either
(a) get blown out while moving the shadows toward the right or (b) preclude
moving the entire exposure sufficiently "to the right" to get the desired
noiseless shadow tonality during post processing.

So in these cases (unfortunately, probably the majority of cases of these
"shadow tone dominant" compositions), it's just best to use film to make
these kinds of photographs.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Don's PAW 36 Beware Ted, ferns but no peeling paint)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Don's PAW 36 Beware Ted, ferns but no peeling paint)