Subject: [Leica] was eyeliner, now shooting through it
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed Sep 6 09:30:39 2006

On 6 Sep 2006 at 5:06, H. Ball Arche wrote:

> beforehand.  And that's kind of unnerving- the
> implication that you have to 'lose it' to 'get it', so
> to speak.

Not so much, I think.  It's a pretty basic concept in many ecstatic
philosophical practices, and AFAIK just about all sports.  Think
"flow" or "satori" or "no mind" if you're of that bent.

It's not so much that you "lose it" as that you just learn sometimes
to get out of its way.  The shots you don't realize you took are
frequently the best of them.

Like Grampa Ted says, "holy ____! Look at That!" and if you didn't
get the camera click somewhere between the "look" and the "That!" you
might as well go buy a beer to cry into, because the party's over.

That's what the whole "decisive moment" thing IS.  It's a trained,
quasi-instinctive response to situations - why pj's don't like lens
caps or "auto power off" cameras (and why on the whole pjs chimp a
lot less than civilians).  You're in the moment, something happens,
you shoot it. No thought allowed.  SImple as that.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] was eyeliner, now shooting through it)