Subject: [Leica] MIS UT2 inks printing too light
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Sep 9 02:02:58 2006

Anybody else here use the MIS Ultratone inks for B&W printing?  I use MIS
UT2 with an Epson 1280 and the Paul Roarke curves.  Picture Window Pro,
calibrated monitor, no other color management enabled.  I've been using
this setup for over 2 years with no problems.

Two UT2 greyscale cartridges acquired about a month ago print too light.  I
literally printed a good print using an old cart, changed carts, got a good
head test pattern, and printed again. Same file, in the same session of the
same software.  It printed too light, with washed-out highlights where
there had been beautiful, smooth detail before. It's like everything above
medium-dark gray has been bumped up 5-10% in brightness.

Since then, I've gotten consistently bad results on all files I've
tried--too light, and a bit too blue.  I've checked everything--driver
settings, monitor calibration, that all other color managment is turned
off.  Everything looks right, and all my quadtone prints are too
light.  Note that I can print "BO" (black ink only), and that works just
fine.

MIS exchanged the first cart for another with the next lot number in
succession.  Same problem.   Now they want me to send them drawdowns.  Due
to some major projects at work, I had to let things slide for a while.

I've heard rumblings on the Yahoo Digital B&W group about some problems
with a supplier of one of the light grey inks, which might explain
things.  But I can't get a straight answer out of MIS.

Anybody else have any info that might shed light on the problem?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] MIS UT2 inks printing too light)