Subject: [Leica] Portrait
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Sep 10 12:32:34 2006

Victor Rubin showed: a portrait.
> I have great joy in doing images with a very long lens- once the
> stabilizers
> were worked in it became about the perfect tool for me. Wandering in
> Amsterdam I took this portrait from a fairly good distance- The subject
> was
> excellent- Panasonic FZ 30, Leica Vario-Emarit- ISO 200.  vroger
> > http://vroger.smugmug.com/gallery/1837739/11/94306106<<<

Hi Victor,
Nice light and interesting face...... however?

Given it appears the light is coming from her right, our left as we look at
the photo, I don't have any doubt that this portrait would have been
improved a 100% if you'd waited for her to turn her face toward the window.
The light and face angle would've been beautiful and it would've put you
"shooting from the shadow side" and she would've looked like a Rembrandt
painting portrait! :-)

Now given I wasn't sitting there to see what other head movements she may or
may not have made, but given the window is there, I can't imagine for a
fleeting moment she at some time didn't turn her head 45 degrees toward the
window..... "Click!"

"Smashing great portrait" instead of ... just an interesting photo of a
missed moment!

Sorry mate, you guys ask for comment and that's how I read this one.... "A
missed opportunity for greatness!"
ted
By the way nice use of a longer lens! Now get the light right next time and
you'll be fine! ;-)