Subject: Dealing with the Photo Blahs [was Re: [Leica] Catching Up]
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Sep 12 08:40:26 2006

Daniel Ridings offered wisdom with:

>>I am hoping I'll get out of the slump. I expect I won't. I expect that
youth carried with it an element of excitement that just is not going
to come back.<<

Hi Daniel,
I believe this is the most significant wisdom .... >I expect that youth
carried with it an element of excitement that just is not going to come
back.<<

Absolutely no question!!!!!!!!!!! Our youth "time" whatever that maybe for
some, wild and crazy from one end of the world to the other and back
involved in the news and events of the day for me, it was an incredible
time. Loved it! :-)

I don't think it's the type of photographic blah as happens in a normal
sense when shooting every day, I think it has more to do with, I'm sure in
my own case... "Been there done that ....a kind of burn out, so why
bother?":-(

Yes there are spurts of photo visual activity, some nice pictures,
unfortunately finished with a so what attitude. :-( If we look at a
situation where you're working on a documentary for several months... like
everyday from dawn to dusk you run into days where "nothing works and you
feel as blind as a brick!"

A day of down time and you come back like a run away youth recovered steam
engine at high speed. The older we get the slower the engine works, "For you
older folks doesn't that sound familiar?" ;-)

Unfortunately our body begins to argue .... "wait a minute idiot you want me
to go where? Do what?  Read my condition, your lucky I got you out of bed
today!" I've found this to be as much mental as physical.

Then the "Photo blahs begin" it can last a few hours, days or if you let it
bog you down, years! :-( However, it can be beat, no not back to the energy
levels of youth, but by photographing things you like without pressure
of.... "this has to be finished today!"

Because many of you have shown me the beauty of flower photography, you've
unwittingly given me "mental, visual and physical activity" I would not
likely have done .... unless it was part of an assignment on gardening or
such like subject.

The blahs can be beat any time.... Most important? Pick a subject you like,
concentrate on that without pressure and have fun. Don't get overly serious
about perfection nor techie things that create mental photo stress.

Just roll with it and never mind trying to be the gung-ho shooter of youth.
It was always fun, it should still be fun, even more so! Do it in that
fashion and the blahs will definitely fade away like a setting sun!

There you go eh! So endth the lesson for today.:-)

ted

Message from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) (Dealing with the Photo Blahs [was Re: [Leica] Catching Up])
Message from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) (Dealing with the Photo Blahs [was Re: [Leica] Catching Up])