Subject: [Leica] Re: Boat pictures
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Sep 12 13:57:57 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Richard wrote:

> Yeah, you don't get much choice of camera position or lighting when
> you're in a sailboat, especially when you're in a race.  It's pretty
> much catch as catch can though for these shots I think I lucked out.
> I like the shot you chose, too, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a
> boat portrait because of the other boat.
>
> Thanks for commenting.

If you are not in the race, the best spots for shooting sailboat race
pictures are at the start and at the end of the downwind leg. At the
start you get masses of sailboats, all struggling to keep out of each
other's way. It's hard to get a picture of an individual boat but the
forest of masts and sails makes for an interesting horizontal
composition. At the end of the downwind leg, all the colorful
spinnakers are flying. This is the spot where trouble happens as the
racers prepare to douse their sails. It's like sitting near the turn
of an automobile race. Morris Rosenfeld and his sons, who dominated
the field of boat photography, from the 1880s to the 1990s, favored
pictures taken from the leeward fore quarter from low on the water.
It gave the boats a very dramatic look. Rosenfeld used a modified
Graflex camera and buzzed around the fleet in a 24' motorboat. His
sons drove while he took the pictures from the stern. When he died,
his family gave the collection of boat photographs to the Mystic
Seaport museum. It is the largest such collection in the world and is
a real education for anyone who messes around in boats. Incidentally,
Morris Rosenfeld suffered terribly from seasickness.

When she was much younger, my wife made a respectable living by
painting boat "portraits" for local yacht owners in the Tri State
area. I would take an ordinary picture of the boat from the angle the
owner thought looked best and my wife would paint a magnificent
portrait of the boat braving the storm. Some boat owners treat their
boats better than their wife and children. I know they spend more
money on their boats. Sort of like Leica photographers with their
cameras.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Re: Boat pictures)