Subject: [Leica] Re: Video of M8 (Meaningless comparisons)
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Wed Sep 13 11:45:31 2006

George - the LUG has meaningfully compared M's to Yaschica T's,
Ricohs, and other point and shoots. Meaningless comparison? I've
compared my Leica M's to every other camera I've ever owned. Usually
the Leica comes out ahead. But the Olympus E-330, which can also be
used as a P&S, represents an advance in photography that eclipses
almost anything the M can do, digital or not. I am extremely
disappointed in Leica's approach to digital.

I love Leica lenses. However their approach to cameras has been like
trying to release a new 1957 Chevy with a more powerful engine, but
still with a manual choke, no seat belts, and a clock that stops
after about 20,000 miles - fun for an nostalgic cruise with the top
down. Leica has ignored the creative capability of modern digital.
They used to be at the forefront of photographic equipment and
systems. They appear to have abandoned the legacy that made great and
creative cameras, and now concentrate strictly on "legacy" as an end
in itself.

And the M8 price is WAY out of line for a computer box that keeps out
light. I predict that the M8 may indeed hold its value - but strictly
as a collectible someday because Leica sold so few of them.

Gary Todoroff

P.S. to Scott - it's also as "meaningless" to compare the "dinky P&S
sensor" as it was to compare the dinky PC computer to mainframe
computers 20 years ago. How many mainframes have you seen lately?
Change is hard - don't dismiss it with a blanket claim of "meaningless".

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: Video of M8 (Meaningless comparisons))
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Re: Video of M8 (Meaningless comparisons))
Message from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] Re: Video of M8)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Re: Video of M8)