Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica ergonomics
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Sep 14 08:56:03 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Ted wrote:

> Instead of whining and pointing out so called deficiencies in your
> mind most
> of us have totally ignored them for many years while in the throws
> of making
> them work just fine from the heat of the day, the darkness of
> night, to the
> frozen north pole! And done all that without a bloody whine! Mitts
> on and
> all!
>
> We just got and get on with the job before us.... taking pictures.
>
> Now for the M8? Hey when I have one in hand I'll proceed shooting
> in exactly
> the same manner as I've done for many many years. And probably
> smile!:-)
>
> Larry sir, you on the other hand should not even consider an M8 or
> any other
> M camera, as obviously they have so many short comings they must
> give you a
> headache every time you put one to your eye, left or right! ;-)

All true. We Leica photographers have to put up with so much to join
the elite. Sort of like wearing a hair shirt and complaining because
it's not silk. Actually, I think Leica began to retrogress when they
abandoned the classic design of the LTM series. Now there was a
camera. Everything manual and right out in the open. No concession to
those softies who who preferred ergonomics to in-your-face
functionality. It was the Swiss Army Knife of photography. My old
Leitz catalog featured 40 pages of accessories that you could add to
your camera to modify it for any purpose. My wife never had to worry
about what to buy me for Christmas. But rather than use my Leica
lenses on a soon to be obsolete M8, I'm thinking of having them
remounted so that I can use them on a real camera, my IIIf. I'll have
a red dot tattooed on my forehead so everyone will know I'm a true
Leica addict. ;-)

Larry Z (a left handed, left eyed photographer who now takes most of
his pictures with a DSLR.)

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Re: Leica ergonomics)