Subject: [Leica] Leica M8 hands on
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Sep 14 18:42:24 2006

Any camera's BW mode is and has to be jpg-only, Chris - unless someone has a
tiff bw mode I don't know about. RAW gives you what the sensor captures, no
more, no less - jpg gives you a combination of more and less, because it
gives you added sharpness, color adjustments, etc., but you lose some
dynamic range. As good as some built in bw modes are - and the one Olympus
has in the E330 and E500 is terrific, and I have no reason to assume it
isn't just as good in the M - you're still much better off shooting raw and
converting yourself. A tad slower in the end, but much more satisfying.

B.D.