Subject: [Leica] Re BW modes
From: davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON)
Date: Fri Sep 15 05:43:29 2006

>Mark and B.D. not trying to be obtuse here, but what advantage is there to
>capture as BW?

The practical advantage is that the preview version of the shot that you see
on the back of the camera is in black and white, and the workflow is easier
if you want to take a lot of shots in B&W--the browser thumbnails are in B&W
and the NEF (Nikon RAW) file is automatically converted to black and white
whenever you perform a Save As from the Nikon editor.

If you made a B&W only camera there would be other advantages due to the
removal of the Bayer color filter array--greater linear resolution and
greater sensitivity to light. Imagine a B&W digital M which had quite
tolerable noise at ISO 6400.

Mark Davison