Subject: [Leica] Re: BW modes
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Sep 15 08:02:01 2006

Come on Chris,
This would work fine if "convert to grayscale" made you happy.  Or if you
simply desaturated your images which is the same thing as a B&W imaging
would do. In fairness this is not entirely correct wrt pixel density and
ability to see finer detail.

Face it, many images work better if you apply a little filtration as you
convert to B&W.  And you are still going to adjust levels, curves, possibly
a little dodging or burning so maybe you would only spend 2.5 hours getting
your images up to your standards.  Last, as expensive as you are per hour,
it is still cheaper than sending 50 rolls of film to the lab.

We are never happy, photographers have more tools that are better than they
have ever been and still we grump.  Sometime pick up a motorised SP from the
late fifties and compare that with a lowly film Rebel.  Size, weight,
framing rate, available lenses, TTL flash capability, and metering are all
much better today for less money even before inflation.  But hey, you could
at least buy a F1.1 lens for your Nikon then.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com