Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital equivalent of 135
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Sep 15 11:11:25 2006

Ted Grant wrote:
[snip]
At what point does anyone see or feel a practical level will be reached?
And what size do you think it might be. And why should it be bigger and
bigger?
----------------

Them's the $100MM questions :-)

Will the future photo industry be demand driven or
technology driven?  All industries are a mix of both, but
where will the balance be?  Personally, I have no idea.

How big is the photo industry?  Is the aggregate dollar
volume large enough, and likely to keep growing at a fast
enough rate, to support the kind of continuous R&D
spending by upstream component providers (like it is in
the computer industry)? I don't know this either.

On upper bounds, I think of Avedon setting up an 8x10
and have his models leap through the frame; i.e., somewhat
losely framed shots. But then there's alot of film real estate to
crop and still make nice and/or large prints.  How many
pixels does one need to do the same thing?  I don't
know this either. Would the market be large enough and/or
rich enough to support digi technology like this?  Again,
I don't know.

Will advanced technologies for niche industrial markets "trickle
down" to "consumer grade" (< $3-5K ?) equipment? I can't say.

Great questions - sorry that it just makes me wonder about
even more questions :-)

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: Digital equivalent of 135)