Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital equivalent of 135
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Sep 15 08:27:10 2006

According to my Kodak Reference manual, most of the films that we
commonly use have a resolving power between 100 and 150 lines/mm. A
couple of years ago there was speculation that a digital sensor of 9
Mb would provide the informational equivalent of a 24x36 mm 135
frame. Now that reasonably priced sensors have reached the double
digit megabyte point, what is the contemporary view? Are more
megabytes always better? Does the size of each element matter? Bear
in mind that lenses, even Leica lenses, have practical resolution
limits. What megabytage should I strive for if I want to fully
replace film?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Re: Digital equivalent of 135)