Subject: [Leica] Tri Elmar M 16-18-21 mm F4 ASPH lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Sep 15 14:20:11 2006

I missed my own point on this thing the gaps between 16 and 18 and so on. 21
Its not the gaps its the range. So for us its not continuous.

The biggest revolution in shooting other than digital on the past decade or
so was AF. And the use of wide angle zooms. Which really pretty much were
and are ULTRA WIDE ZOOMS.
When these lenses came out they instantly became glued onto the the cameras
of those that used them; certainly photojournalists. Once in a blue moon
they'd use a tele zoom. Never a normal zoom I heard.
I never thought wide zooms would work well or go over very well.
One of my major modern bloopers.
Turns out the use of these optics are very enabling. And addicting.
The world is plasticized right in front of you it's like you have control
over the environment in front of you. Very addicting. Makes for great shots.
Not architectural maybe but for everything else. Maybe you can fix that now
even, in software.

So we few, we happy few rangefinder shooters can have those framelines
etched popping around in front of us.

The question I still think of is which will be more fun and
profitable:16-18-21 mm. or
21-24-28 mode?

I thing we film shooters are also going to want something in the non ultra
wide angle mode. A 21-24-28 like what they get in digital.

Ideally what we had before before digital hit.
A 21 to 35. Or 18 to 35 as digital started sneaking in.

I'm going to wish for

18-24-35

The effect of which
Film or digital