Subject: [Leica] RE: Trying to understand M8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Sep 17 05:43:40 2006

Luis, it sounds like you are discussing an issue between Nikon and Adobe.
I'm not familiar with that.
You've provided very insightful and well informed posts on this and I look
forward to learning more from you.
I was referring to the ongoing situation where, if you want the WB info from
your NEF file, you need to pay for the Nikon software.
I'm sure this isn't unique to Nikon regarding proprietary formats in their
digital cameras. Regarding the DNG standard, is it not
the very definition of a consensual standard?
There sure are a lot of camera makers ignoring it. That's fine, it is a
commercial decision and there is no question that the
products are very good indeed. I'm very happy to consider each
manufacturer's approach on this as part of an evaluation of their
equipment. Similarly backwards compatibility, and loyalty/support for your
established customer base.
I can put a 2006 lens on my 1954 M3 or a 1954 lens on a 2006 M8.  If Leica
collapsed tomorrow, heaven forbid, there is every
prospect that the files from that M8 would be completely operable with
numerous software options and development of improvements to
that extraction has a very good probability of continuing. I don't have any
DSLR. I would very much like to have the M8.

Whoops, sorry, I guess I hadn't finished ranting after all!

Cheers
Hoppy