Subject: [Leica] RE: Trying to understand M8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Sep 17 04:05:46 2006

Luis I understand what you have added here.
I do dislike the camera makers opting to restrict the full file info to
their own software with the proprietary formats. You are
right that the DNG software isn't free, but it is a free component of
Photoshop, which of course, is the standard. You might change
camera brands or models but you will more than likely still get support in
Photoshop. You do always have the option of purchasing a
dedicated RAW converter, or the camera companies own software if you desire.
The test is, would you use that particular camera makers software if it was
not necessary for proprietary reasons? In my view,
hardware manufacturers are not the most expert software designers.
Solms have decided to package a light version of Phase One software with the
M8. That's great, so camera buyers needn't immediately
be forced to pay extra to access their own image information. Some of those
folks may choose to upgrade to other Phase One software.
That's a win for consumer and software developer.
I don't see the avenue for DNG to become not free, since it is an open
standard by design.
I guess like Linux or similar, if you package a distribution that is
attractive, folks may pay for it. Do you presage licence fees
paid by camera makers to Adobe? Surely that defeats the purpose of the open
standard?

I'm just a big fan of standardization, in principle. Compete in the market
by all means, but don't be arrogant and force people into
a proprietary standard that may or may not exist later.
Just think of Contax (Kyocera) or Konica or Minolta or Nikon or Olympus with
35mm equipment etc etc.
Imagine those cameras with digital proprietary formats.
That's the end of my rant for now ;-)

Cheers
Hoppy