Subject: [Leica] Variations on BW images on-line
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Sep 18 05:58:09 2006

I viewed a series of bw images over the weekend that someone on the LUG
had posted and I was quite impressed. I was so impressed, in fact, that
I went back to look at them again today.

Over the weekend I'd viewed them on my Lacie CRT. The images had deep
blacks and fine tonality. They had depth and they looked alive. This
morning when I went back I saw them on my LCD monitor. They just didn't
look the same.

I knew it wasn't the images, but my system configuration. I tried to
tweak my LCD (which is a relatively high end model) but I couldn't get
the same look.

It reminded me of just how much variation there is regarding hardware,
and what an impact that can have on how images look on-line. I used to
think color was critical, but now I think calibration is even more
important for bw images.

It had me again thinking about how much of on-line presentation is out
of the control of the presenter. Yet presentation is so important. With
prints the presenter has more control of the environment. Anyone have
any tips/recommendations/discussing points for preparing bw images for
the web.

I guess in a perfect world every monitor everywhere would be properly
calibrated with ideal ambient light. :-)

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Variations on BW images on-line)