Subject: [Leica] #174
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Sep 19 15:33:45 2006

Peter, the C-41 process bw is a very interesting corner of the film world.
There is no question that it can produce sharp, very fine
"grain" bw images and seems to have the wide exposure tolerance of colour
neg. Graham of course, uses it superbly and we have other
LUG denizens that do the same.

But where's the fun of the experience, if you can't develop it yourself? If
I use commercial processing then I can as easily scan
and print from colour neg or transparency to end up with black and white
prints. Those prints too will have superior fine "grain"
and great contrast control. In fact my workflow from bw negs often includes
a conversion to RGB colour that allows for detail tonal
manipulation and also toning which works really well to produce monochrome
prints from my inkjet.

So, yes I'm very aware of the high quality results from the C-41 bw and
there won't be any dust spots, battles with grain etc etc. I
just like the smell of the fixer. Do it yourself bw is a very enjoyable
extension of using the wonderful M's. When I try to put
colour film in my M3, it just rejects it. Some king of immune reaction, I
think ;-)

Cheers
Hoppy