Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica users
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Sep 20 06:35:01 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Didier wrote:

> Bernardo
>
> Everywhere the large majority of pro photog's use Canon, and if
> not, another DSLR, mostly Nikon. Leica is in a niche market latest
> since the early seventies when the SLR's rolled the field up and
> Nikon F became the new standard small format pro camera.
>
> I could imagine that the one or the other pro buys a M8 as second,
> third or fourth body, for special purposes, or for it's
> compactness, or for nostalgia.
>
> I'm neither a pro nor could I afford a M8, but I'm certainly
> lusting after... :0)
>
> Didier

My favorite camera repair person, Sherry Krauter, told me that Leica
owners are aging as fast as their cameras. The proportion of young
people who own Leicas is insignificant compared to the legion of
nostalgic old farts who hang on to their cameras and lenses. The M8
is clearly designed to appeal to this group with a closet full of old
lenses and the memories to go with them. When it passes, so will the
camera and probably the company.

On the other hand, I did see a full page ad for the M8 in the latest
edition of Travel and Leisure magazine. The ad said nothing about the
camera. It just implied that it would be a good fashion accessory for
well heeled tourists about to board the QE2. Perhaps there is another
market out there. Is Leica returning to its roots?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Re: Leica users)